Great Bay Half

After getting on the plane Thursday night in my flip-flops and t-shirt to find it snowing furiously, I was pleasantly surprised to wake up Sunday morning to find it sunny and 50. I was signed up to run the Great Bay half marathon in Newmarket, NH, and even better my room-mate was running the 5k, as was my friend Argentina (her first race ever!). Nothing better than having company. Argentina tried to bail at the last minute, but I manage to convince her to convince her at the last minute. We all need some tough love once in awhile.

I ran the course blind. I had no time expectations and didn't want to know what was coming. It felt strange to be at a start with thousands of people, after just 99 of us in Antarctica! I was hot before we hit the first mile mark so I decided to sacrifice my long sleeve shirt. Luckily, when I back 5 hours later it was still in the same spot. I love New Hampshire! After that I just cruised. The course was rolling hills, but after Antarctica I have a new perspective on hills. We had a nice 3 mile stretch on dirt roads (but no mud!), and then ran by the ocean for then next 5 or so. The scent of salt air instantly invigorates me. We then did an out and back section for the final 3 miles. I missed not knowing everyone I passed and getting high 5's like in Antarctica.

I finished in 2:05. Not a PR. I probably am in PR shape, but I didn't choose to go for it. I just wanted to enjoy the course, and I did. I felt good the whole race. More importantly I felt good to enjoy the rest of the day, including free Smuttynose beer at the finish, and then my flight to California and drive to Santa Rosa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...