TurboFire, and Punk Rope, and Yoga... Oh my!

Now that my house is looking more like a house and less like a disaster zone, I'm making an effort to get out, explore the community, and make new friends. This is the first time I've ever lived alone, and given my hermit tendencies, I could quickly become a recluse. Last night I joined the Southern Maine Fit Club for some turbo fire. We had a big room with a giant screen and followed along with a turbo fire DVD. It wasn't the hardest workout ever, but it was fun and got me off the couch (where I had been enjoying too much biscoff spread all afternoon). Even better was that afterward I invited everyone to join Breezy and I at Jimmy the Greek's for $5 martinis and free manicures! Unfortunately we got there too late for free manicures, but I enjoyed my Gossip martini and conversation with new friends! This morning I ventured out in the rain for Punk Rope at the Portland Y. Punk Rope is a jump rope based interval class. They used to have it at the Y in Framingham, and I love it! I was a little frustrated at the class today because every time we got up to a hard work level, we stopped. I like to get my butt kicked, and I didn't get that. Oh well! Since I still had plenty of energy, I used a groupon I had gotten to go to a yoga class at Breathing Room Yoga. The studio is less than a mile from my new house, and super cute. They have a little sitting area with tea and comfy chairs, and then the open area in the back for the practice. It is an old building, with a great pounded tin ceiling with a star design. It was fun to look during class. It wasn't the most challenging class I've ever been to, but it was a warm, relaxing way to spend an hour on a dreary day and helped to get out the remaining kinks from moving. And fitting with the theme of wonderful things for rainy days, I will share this recipe for Pumpkin Oatmeal from the New York Times that I have been totally loving this week. Spiced Pumpkin Oatmeal Adapted from Olives NY TOTAL TIME 50 minutes Ingredients * 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice * 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon * 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger * 1/4 cup packed brown sugar * 1 cup canned pumpkin puree * 4 1/2 cups low-fat milk or water * 1 1/2 cups steel-cut oats * 3/4 teaspoon salt * Warm apple sauce, optional * Chopped fresh apple, optional * Apple cider syrup, optional Preparation 1. In a large saucepan over low heat, toast allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger, stirring occasionally until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, then add pumpkin and stir to combine. Add milk or water, raise heat and bring mixture to a simmer. Stir in oats, and simmer over medium heat until tender but not mushy, about 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in salt. 2. Serve with applesauce, apple and syrup if desired.

1 comment:

  1. if you're ever in New York City we'd love for you to come to a Punk Rope class. we'll kick your butt...in a nice way!

    ReplyDelete

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...