Ending the Year with a (freezing) Splash!

I like to do events to make occasions, so I was excited when I heard about the Polar Bear 5k and Polar Plunge to benefit the Natural Resources Council of Maine. And then I saw the weather forecast "freezing rain with a chance of sleet." Great.

When I woke up and left for the gym this morning it wasn't bad. But, by the time I was leaving the gym the freezing rain was pouring down. I was so tempted to go home and stay home. I mean I'd already gone to kickboxing. Didn't I deserve to spend the rest of the morning on the couch with a blanket and hot coffee?

But then I got a phone call from a friend telling me that a friend I'd worked with for more than 10 years passed away last night. He was in his early forties and no one expected it. So I decided that I would run the race for him because I could. Life is short and I want to live it to the fullest.

So I tossed on my rain coat and headed down to the back bay parking lot. I stood in the rain to register and then got back in my car to wait for the start. At this point I almost bailed again-  I was freezing and wet already! But when I saw the crowd gathering I got excited again and hopped over to the start trying to regain some feeling in my feet. It was definitely not a day for a PR. Most of the race was on the trail around back bay and it was completely iced over. I ran on the frozen, uneven grass on the side of the trail and my main goal was not to fall on my face!


This was one race I was not happy to see end, because it meant it was time for the plunge! The water temp was a balmy 42 degrees. The race organizers wanted everyone to go in at once, so I had just enough time to get really cold between the run and plunge. It was pretty fun though to see all the people in costumes- polar bear costumes, grass skirts and leis, tutus. I waited until the last minute to strip down to my tights and tank top and then I was in (and out again pretty fast). Luckily, my wonderful, wonderful Breezy came to meet me at the end with a hot peppermint mocha, a towel, and most importantly a ride back to my car where I'd parked it at the start of the race.



Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...