Comparison

This morning I ran 9 miles, the longest run I’ve done since having a baby. It was wonderful. Despite starting at 530 am, I felt great. It was mild, the roads were clear, and there was a stunning sunrise. It was one of those runs where everything just clicked.


Then I finished and saved my run and saw that my over-all average pace was 9:47. My pride started to dissipate because I thought I was running so much faster. Then I went inside and looked at my phone while I stretched and saw that 7 years ago  today I had just finished the Antarctica Marathon, 4 years ago I was in Japan after the Tokyo Marathon, and 3 years ago I was in New Zealand getting ready to run the Mountains to the Sea Marathon. Suddenly 9 miles didn’t seem like such an accomplishment.


I’m finding this training for my first post-partum half marathon more challenging than I expected. Physically, my body has changed and I haven’t run longer than 6-7 miles in 2 years.  Practically it is really hard to fit in the training around work and being a Mom. It’s still too cold and snowy to take Cooper with me, so I have to run when someone else is around to watch him. Mentally, I struggle with comparing myself to what I used to be able to do. I used to run marathons and I used to run faster.
I’m trying to remind myself that I am in a different point in my life and comparing myself to what I used to do (or to other people) serves no purpose. I am doing the best I can do right now. But taking it easy on myself, is not one of my strong points.

1 comment:

  1. I do hope you find a way to be kinder to you! Your life is so different now, it just doesn't make sense to compare to the past. If you need to, why don't you compare to when you were running slower, or less? But I say YAY for any movement, especially when you are out so early and working hard to fit it in with your busy schedule!

    ReplyDelete

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...