How Becoming a Mother Made Me A Better Runner

I'm running a spring half marathon and I did a 10 miler last weekend, so I've been ramping up my mileage since December. It's my second build-up post partum, and it just feels like everything is clicking. I feel physically the strongest I've ever been, but also like I've found this new mental strength. I truly think become a mother has made me a better runner.






I think there are a few reasons for this, one is that I am physically stronger than I was in the past. I go to the gym instead of running more often now, mostly because there is childcare. Running outside with Cooper isn't an option in the winter. But I've also (finally!) realized that strength training is good for me. I've come to like it and to like what it does to my body. I'm still a cardio junkie at heart, but I'm so much better about cross training and strength than I was in the past.



5 am and snowing? Oh well
I also think that going through a long, painful labor made me so much tougher. It was a pain like nothing else I have ever experienced and it made everything else seem not so bad in comparison. It was also the first time I had no control over what was happening to my body. Marathons hurt, but there was always the possibility that I could quit if I really wanted. In labor I just had to keep going for as long as it took. I was forced to learn to take it minute by minute and not worry about what was to come.



The biggest shift though is mental. I used to spend so much time worrying about my long runs. During my runs, I dwelled on how much further I had to run. Now, I don't have the time or mental energy to spend as much time worrying before I run. There is usually only time period during the week that works for my long run, so I can't obsess about finding the perfect conditions for my run. I have to run when I have the chance. Running used to be something to get done for me- I loved how I felt after my run, but not necessarily during. Now though, I appreciate having that time to myself so much more. I love the freedom of being outside, of being able to listen to a podcast without interruptions, of having time to think. Running has become a privilege instead of a chore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...