Signs



Scientifically I know the importance of rest days, yet I don't take them. I try to justify it by saying that I have a well rounded workout routine, its not like I'm running every single day. I run 3-4 days a week, spin once, do a kickboxing class, do a bootcamp class, and then mix in some yoga and strength training. Deep down though, I know it isn't good for me to go hard every day. 

This week the universe sent me some pretty strong signs that it is time to back off. Monday night I couldn't fall asleep because my left shin hurt so much. I finally admitted to myself that I was injured and it was a bone injury (aka not anything I can run through). 
Related image
As hard as it was, I didn't run at all this week. I did some spin, some elliptical, no impact. But I still went hard at every workout. Then last night I woke up in the middle of the night with terrible stomach pain and spent the rest of night and the morning violently vomiting. Over and over.

Okay universe, I hear you. And I definitely took today off. 

Its so hard to explain to others why taking a day off is so hard, it's deep seeded. It's partly, I'm sure, a remnant of the eating disorder I had in high school. It's about control and getting time for myself. It's a long standing habit, and those are the hardest to break. But as soon as I have a healthy leg and a healthy GI system I'm going to try. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! I hope your stomach AND shin feel better! :(

    ReplyDelete

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...