California Dreaming

Having already admitted that I was able to appreciate the virtues of living in Boston, I know must concede that I can see how people love living in California as well. I went for a nice 12.5 mile run this morning, and only a mile of it was on the road. The rest was on the lovely trails around Spring Lake, Howarth Park, and Annandel State Park. Not only were there great rails, but there were water fountains everywhere, so I didn't have to lug my water bottle. Get with it New England!
When I finished my run I got to jump into a pool, and then eat breakfast poolside while I did a little work.

In the afternoon, I went to the Korbel Champagnery for free tasting and tour. I learned a lot- like that champagne is fermented twice, and to get the yeast out at the end they freeze the neck of bottle and pull it out. And I got two free flights of tastings!


Then, some one mentioned that Armstrong Redwood Forest was right now the road, so I stopped. SOOO glad I did. It was a humbling and moving experience. The enormous trees shaded the path, making it wonderfully cool even on a hot day. They absorbed sound, so it felt like I was alone and far away from world. Some of the trees are more than a 1,000 years old. It was easy to imagine myself a young Native American, running lightly through the forest. Natural wonders like the giant redwoods just remind me how small a human life is in the span of history. And yet, we have the capacity to wreak such havoc in that short time. There are so few redwoods left, not because of nature, but because of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...