I did my first triathalon today, and I loved it! I go to a great bootcamp on Satruday mornings and the instructor urged us all to sign up. It was just the little push I needed. I was the most nervous about the swim. I’ve done plenty of biking and running, but not a whole lot of swimming (other than paddling around leisurely). I woke in the early morning, to the sound of pouring rain. Great. Luckily the down pours stopped before the race, and it was just overcast and cold. I was intimidated when I first got there. Everyone had on fancy trisuits, and I was wearing an old bathing suit and shorts. I wore my shorts on the swim partly to cover up my butt, and partly because the swimsuit was so loose I was afraid it might fall off! I had no idea when I signed up what estimated time to put for the swim, so I said 20 minutes. That put me at the very end of the line to start. So I had a nice hour to stand and get nice and nervous and watch everyone whiz through the water. But once I started, I was good. The swimming felt nice and easy, and it only took me 5 minutes. Then, I was back on familiar ground. I struggled to get my shirt on over my wet body (didn’t think to bring a towel), and then I was riding. The bike loop was hilly, but nothing too terrible. It felt good to be moving fast, and I even passed a few people. The bike was over before I knew it, and I was back out on the run. You’d think the run would be the easiest part for me. It wasn’t. It hurt. But, I knew I could suck it up for 3 miles, so I chugged along and managed to pass a few more people. I loved that everyone had their age on their calves, so I knew who my targets were! I was shocked to find out that I’d come in 2nd in my age group, and in the top half over all. Already looking for next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...