Martha's Vineyard

The problem with being from an island in Maine, is that I tend to spend all of my vacation time on that island. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it has kept me from exploring all of the other amazing places in New England in the summer. So when I saw a Groupon for ferry tickets to Martha's Vineyard, I decided to change that. So glad I did, what a great place.

Friday was the best day we've had in 2 weeks- sunny and not humid. We took the 9:35 slow ferry, and as soon as we got on the boat I started to relax. We landed in Oak bluffs and headed right out on the bike trail to Edgar town. The path was flat, smooth, and ran right along the ocean. The miles of sandy dunes and warm air made me feel like I was in the tropics instead of Massachusetts. We stopped and walked on the beach in Katama before heading back up-island to Vineyard Haven for a stop at the famous Mad Martha's ice cream. This section was less scenic and hillier, but the bike path was still great! Fueled up by ice-cream, we did the last short section back to Oak Bluffs where we had just enough time to take a swim (I couldn't believe how warm the ocean was!) before the ferry back. Then it was fried clams in Hyannis for dinner before heading home. Summer is glorious.


No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...