Eat and Run

I've had a bit of a crazy week. I got back from Nashville late, late Monday night and since then I've been trying catch up at work while also dealing with a sick dog, a Mom who had dental surgery, a flat tire and dead battery in my car, and organizing a volunteer event at the Ronald McDonald House.

So the name of the game this week was short, effective workouts and crock pot meals.

Tuesday morning, I dragged out the crockpot and the breadmaker and within 15 minutes had food cooking for the rest of the week.

In the crock pot I made my favorite vegetarian french onion soup.

image source: New York Times. Mine doesn't look this pretty.

I based it on this recipe from the New York Times. Except I made it even easier by making it in the crockpot. I added the onions and olive oil and cooked them on high for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Then I added the water, miso, thyme (also addded sage and rosemary), salt and pepper and cooked on low for 7 hours. Easy peasy!

In the bread maker I tried something new, quinoa bread!

I followed this recipe from Beautifully Nutty exactly. This bread was great. The quinoa just added a little crunch and heartiness without making it too heavy.

image source: beautifully nutty. I devoured my loaf before taking a picture.

In terms of running I resorted to the treadmill. I find I have better luck actually doing speed work when I am forced to keep up with the treadmill belt. Outside on my own, I tend to drift back to my comfy pace. 

I saw this work-out on Pumps and Irons and used it as inspiration. 
http://pumpsandiron.com/

I made a few changes because a) my little stumpy legs can't run 10 mph and b) I wanted to make it longer. I did the workout as follows. Also did 10 minute warm-ups and cool-downs on the elliptical.


What are you eating this week? Any fun new workouts?


No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...