Girls on the Run 5k

Last weekend was the Girls on the Run 5k. This was my first season as a Girls on the Run coach and I was so excited to see my girls experience the 5k. It's been amazing to watch them grow and develop as runners, and as people, over the season.

From the moment I arrived, I knew this was going to be a very special event. They had loaner tutus for all the coaches and the middle of the track was a giant fun zone. Girls could get their hair colored, their faces painted, and temporary tattoos. There were hula hoops, a selfie station with fun props, and the music was blasting.
pink and green hairspray station

We encouraged the girls to come in fun outfits, and they didn't disappoint. We had girls in tutus, fun socks, capes, sunglasses, and all kinds of things


Our team gathered for a team picture and an energy cheer before we headed to the Zumba warm-up.

Getting everyone to look at the camera at the same time was impossible


Every girl gets a running buddy to help them through the 5k. It was so heartwarming to see dads and brothers in tutus, with their hair sprayed pink, running with their girls. I was lucky enough to be a running buddy to 2 wonderful girls.

The event isn't timed and girls are encouraged just to keep moving forward. So we ran, walked, skipped, galloped, and twirled. One of my girls fell and skinned her knee on the first downhill, but she was a real trooper and kept going.

My girls and I ran across the finish holding hands. After I hugged them and told them how proud I was, I went back to the finish to cheer on the remainder of the girls. I was in tears watching the girls come across the finish line. They were so happy and so proud and all managed to put a bit of their personalities into their finished.

This event was a reminder to me that ultimately running is about fun and personal growth. It doesn't matter if you win the race; it just matters that you finish and that you enjoy the event. I am so, so proud of my girls and I am going to miss getting to see them twice a week.

What was the most fun you ever had running? Did you ever do a race as kid? What do you remember about it? Did it make you want to be a runner for life, or did it make you never want to run again?





No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...