33

Today is my 33rd birthday. It is already turning out to be a great day. Cooper wanted to help me enjoy every minute of my birthday so he woke me up at 530 with happy babbles. After some coffee (me) and milk (him), we headed out for a run.


It was a bright, sunny morning and I felt so happy to be out doing something I love with my boy. I am so lucky to be healthy, live in such a beautiful place, and have such a sweet baby.


When we came home, my husband had gotten me Starbucks and set up a fun scavenger hunt for me to find my presents.

Every year on my birthday I like to reflect back on the past year. As an adult I feel a lot of years are just more of the same, but in retrospect this was actually a huge year. So much, good and bad, happened. Last year when I turned 32 I was pregnant (and so sick), in my last semester of nursing school, and my mother in law had just been diagnosed with cancer.

The Highs
Graduating from Nursing School and Passing the NCLEX
The accelerated BSN program I did was so intense. Deciding to go back to school was a scary decision, but I'm so glad I did. I worked my butt off in this program, but it was all so worth it, because I....

Found a job I love!
I am a pediatric RN at Intermed and I love it. It is most supportive, welcoming, job environment I've ever had. And I get to play with a lot of babies (and jab them with needles, which is not so fun).

Cooper!
I've kept this kid alive for almost 5 months! Labor, delivery, and caring for a newborn are a serious challenge. My whole way of life has changed. It is continues to challenge me on a daily basis. But watching this little guy explore the world and grow is the most rewarding thing I've ever done.


The Lows
Losing My Mother in Law
Marnie passed away in August, just a few months after she was diagnosed with cancer. I'm devastated that Cooper won't know his wonderful grandma. She was such a strong, hard-working, caring person. But I'm so glad that she at least knew he was on the way and that she got to pick out his name.

Losing Dixie Dog
In December we had to say good-bye to our sweet Dixie dog. She was the sweetest, gentlest, most loving dog I've ever met. I miss her happy sneezing, her cuddles, and her pre-bed spinning so much.



I can't wait to see what this year has in store! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...