mom o meter


I listen to the fabulous, funny podcast “One Bad Mother,” which just had an episode called “Where are We on the Mom-o-meter?” that resonated with me SO much. One of the hosts, Theresa, said that she feels like she is right up there near 100% because she is at the point where she just does all the Mom stuff automatically, without thought. She doesn’t have to think about putting on her Mom hat anymore, it’s just a part of her head now.
Almost 2 years into being a Mom I feel like I’m at that point too. It’s never easy, but I’ve settled in. Even when I’m at work, or out with friends, part of me is always tuned into Cooper. Sometimes I can’t remember when I last ate or went to the bathroom, but I know when he did. I’m so used to responding to and anticipating his needs that I don’t even think about it.
The thing I loved was that Theresa went on to say that she refuses to feel bad about it. That for a long time she felt like she should have this whole separate non-Mom identity. But that she just doesn’t have the time right now. The years when children are young goes so quickly, that she is fine with dedicating most of her attention to them right now. That’s exactly how I feel. I can’t believe Cooper is almost 2- time has just flown. I love being his person- the one who understands his toddler language, the one he turns to when he is upset. I spent my 20’s working a lot, travelling a lot, and doing a lot of things for me. Being a Mom is the thing that makes me feel happiest and most fulfilled right now. I don’t feel like I should have to apologize for prioritizing my family over my career or other things right now, and yet I feel like there are so many people telling me that I should. I’m a Mom right now, and that is more than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...