Stepping Back

I mentioned last week that I am doing an EMR consulting job in Massachusetts for a couple weeks. It's strange because it is like going back in time 10 years ago when I did this full time. Except that now the travel is exciting: it feels like a treat to be by myself in a hotel room and have someone come and clean it every day, to get to eat out for all my meals, to have no one to care for except my myself.

Image result for change memeLeaving Cooper is hard, but I find when I do get home that I am better mother. Having that break from the relentlessness of parenting is refreshing. When I get home I have a new enthusiasm- I am motivated to go on adventures, to make a mess with him on cooking projects, to come up with fun art projects. My regular nursing job also seems better when I return.

We all need this time away from the every day.  I can see this now from the other side. Yet it was so hard to convince myself to take these opportunities for change. I agonized about this consulting job and was so anxious leading up to it. Routine is comforting and familiar. Yet doing the same thing day after day can wear you down. I'm posting this now while it is fresh on my mind to remind myself. It is important to take those new opportunities, take the breaks. We ended up cancelling our vacation plans last year because all the travel logistics of flying with a baby just seemed like too much. I regretted it so much. We have a trip planned to Florida in January and I am already starting to worry about the travel. Kiersten, learn from this last experience. It will be worth it. Do not become one of those people who never does anything new or different.

1 comment:

  1. What a great reminder for you now and in the future, and all of us! It's so easy to get set in your routine and fear straying from it, when that can actually be refreshing! I try to keep that in mind when something rattles me, lol!

    ReplyDelete

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...