Fall Races???

After Antarctica I was so fired up to join the 7 continents club. I'd just come back from an incredible adventure and felt strong. Now 6 months later, I feel like I need to make some motion towards that goal. Or, at the very least, I need another goal. Something to move me forward.

Here are the 2 options I'm considering

1/2 marathon in Alaska at the end of August

Advantages: I'll already be in California for work (and they'd pay for my flight), and there is an easy direct flight from Long Beach. And I have been doing a few 9-10 milers every month or so, so the distance wouldn't be a stretch.
Disadvantages: It doesn't help with my 7 continent goal. It's also the same week as the Southport Auction, which I love to be home for. And the return flight leaves at 1 and lands in CA at 7am Monday and I'd have to go straight from work.


Eindhoven Marathon in The Netherlands in October.

Advantages: I was an exchange student here in high school, so it has sentimental value, and I'd get to stay with my host family (free place to stay!). I could use my miles to get there for free.
Disadvantages: I am not in shape for a marathon, and it's only a 2 months away. Plus I hate training in the heat. I'd have to fly out of California, so it would be a looooong trip.

The other factor is that I'm looking at buying a house in Maine. I don't when, or actually if, this is going to happen. But it's making me hesitant about being away and spending money.

Advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...