Newman's Own

Home sweet home. I got home last night, tired to and staving, to a cold house with no food. I figured it was a good night to try the Newman's Own complete frozen meal I'd picked up awhile ago when they they were on sale and I had a coupon. 


Out of the bag, in the pan, in a bowl.
Normally, I'm not a big fan of frozen dinners but I do like the Newman's Own brand, so I figured it was worth a try. It was easy, I just popped it in a skillet and let it cook, stirring occasionally as I sorted mail.

It was a little short of veggies for my liking, I like more veggies than pasta, but at least the veggies that were there actually looked good. They were nice sized chunks, unlike the colored veggie specks you get in some frozen meals.
 One bag is 2 servings, but when I poured half into a bowl, it looked a little skimpy. I beefed it up with some extra spinach and white beans.

It wasn't bad. The pasta was a little mushy, and I wish it was whole grain. The chicken was good, big chunks of real chicken with a good texture. The sauce tasted a little artificial, but wasn't terrible.


Final Verdict: This was a decent meal if you are a fan of frozen dinners. Newman's Own uses all natural ingredients, and best of all donates 100% of profits to charity, so your conscience feels good too. But I don't think I'd pay full price for these regularly, it is just as easy, and much cheaper, to cook some pasta and toss in some frozen veggies.

Are you a fan of frozen dinners? Are you willing to pay more for a healthy and socially conscious brand?



No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...