Does it Count?

So my bucking up was apparently short lived. I failed to do my long run outside this weekend.

Saturday I really didn't want to miss my boot camp class. Plus, it was about 2 degrees out, without the wind chill. I can make myself get out for a shorter, faster run in the cold. But the idea of being out there in that cold for 2-3 hours, is not appealing at all.

Sunday, I woke up to 12 inches of snow and it was still snowing heavily. It was also incredibly windy. Poor Dixie couldn't even get out the door to pee, no way was I going to be able to run. I did however manage to get my car out of the garage (thank God it is my week in the garage), up the hill on my unpaved road, and to the gym.

the surf was HUGE from the storm

At the gym I faced 2 hours and 20 mins on the mill o' dread. I just couldn't bring myself to do it all on a single machine. So I did 30 mins on the stair stepper, followed by 1:20 on the treadmill, and then 30 minutes on the treadclimber. So I got all my time in, but I left feeling like I'd cheated. Does it count as a long run if I didn't "run" the whole thing?

I was certainly tired afterward. Even more so after I spent the rest of the day doing a massive holiday baking and weekly food prep session. Just before sunset, I did make it out on my x-c skis. The trail wasn't broken yet, so it was slow going, but it was so pretty that I didn't mind a slow slog.


So as I face the forecast of another week filled with sub zero temps and snow storms I am starting to get nervous about my marathon training. 

 Did I cheat by not doing all my long run on the treadmill? Is the treadmill itself considered cheating?

1 comment:

  1. The treadmill is definitely not cheating! I personally wouldn't count things other than running for a long run, but maybe there is a school of thought that does. Good to get some cross training in with the running! I hope you are able to get done what you want to this week! :)

    ReplyDelete

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...