Priorities

As I was making the shift over to the new blog, I was looking back at my posts for the past few months and noticed that the marathon related content was pretty minimal. Considering that the Tokyo Marathon is now just a week away, you'd think that would be dominating the blog lately.

I think there are 2 reasons why this training cycle and race haven't dominated the blog, or my life, to the same extent marathons have in the past. One, this is my 6th marathon and 5th continent. While marathon training is never easy, and I am still nervous about the race, I am pretty confident that I will at least finish. I've done all this training before. When training for my first marathon every long run was a new personal distance record. OMG I ran 15 miles, OMG I ran 18 miles, OMFG I ran 20 miles! I still feel accomplished after a long run, but I don't have that same sense of absolutely amazement.

Secondly, my life priorities have shifted.

Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work. #Success #hardwork #quote

I feel like I have three main areas of my life: work, relationships, and running/fitness. While they all are a part of my life all the time, one of them usually tends to be more dominant. In the past, I let marathon training dominate. But this time, I got engaged, started planning a wedding, and have some great new friends in my life. Plus, there was a lot of work drama and decision making going on. Relationships and work took up a lot of my physical and emotional energy. I did my training, but I didn't obsess over it. And I am okay with that.

How has your perspective on races changed over time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...