New Zealand Training: The End!

Hi Friends!

I am starting to get really excited to New Zealand, well except for the prospect of driving there! I totally forgot they drive on the opposite side of the road. That combined with driving a much larger vehicle than I am used to that is also a manual is going to be a real challenge! Speaking of challenges, here's what I have been up these last 3 weeks.


Week 14 was the week we got about 3 feet of snow plus brutally cold temps, so I gave myself permission to not push the running and just try to get in a solid week of exercise over all.

Week 15 was my longest run of the training cycle. It was cold and snowy, but I felt pretty good. Hopefully just not having to wear 15 layers in the race will help me to feel lighter and run faster!

Week 16 was my first week of taper. I did one last double digit run and it was a real confidence booster. It was a sunny, warmer day and I felt great!

Here's a recap of all of my training:


Reflections on Training as Whole:

I was really consistent and stayed true to my plan's emphasis on mileage as whole, rather than just focusing on the long runs. I am not a high mileage runner- I am not built for it and I enjoy other activities too much, So having 16 weeks (with 2 exceptions) of 20-40 mile weeks makes me feel really confident, even though I only did a single 20 miler.

I am extra impressed with myself for staying so consistent giv en the weather. We have averaged 2-3 snow storms a week in January and February and today is the first day it is above freezing.

I only had one really bad long run, my 15.5 miler in week 10. I was really tired going into the run and the conditions were terrible. Since then, all of my long runs have been pretty solid (they are never easy), again a big confidence builder.

My formal speed work fell by the wayside once the track was covered in snow, but because of the snow I also spent a lot of time on the treadmill. My treadmill runs are always speed and interval workouts because I can't stand to plod along at one pace.

I am still undecided about how I feel about the split long runs. They are a nice change from a single long run, but kind of a pain logistically. Here is my post with more thoughts on this.

I have a total of 436 miles under my belt going into the race. That feels pretty darn good. But at the same time, I know I am not at all heat acclimated and I am heavier than I want to be. So my plan is to be conservative and just enjoy the race.

So provided I don't kill us trying to drive the campervan, I think I am ready to rock this race and cross off continent number 6!

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...