Aerial Yoga Teacher Training

This past weekend I did something really fun: I got certified to teach aerial yoga! When I first saw that the training was being offered at one of my favorite studios, I was really torn about signing up. It sounded so amazingly fun, but it was a big commitment, both in terms of time and money. My husband works on weekends so it meant finding 3 full days of childcare. It also meant giving up a day of paid work and paying a significant tuition.


In the end I decided to take the plunge though. I had been feeling a little burnt out and like I needed something exciting, inspiring, and fulfilling in my life. It's been awhile since I immersed myself in something new.


The training was 3 full days and it was a mix of yoga practice, classroom instruction, and practice teaching. It was so fun to learn some new aerial tricks, but I actually found it just as fun to practice teaching. Teaching aerial is a unique challenge because many times your students can't see you. So you really have to use simple, clear, cues to guide them. It's a good mental challenge to design a balanced class and then lead that class effectively.



I'm teaching some practice classes in the next month (they are free and at Tula if you are local and want to come and then I hope to be able to teach at least one class a week going forward. But even if I don't end up teaching, I'm glad I took the time for myself to dive deeper into a new passion. 

3 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I wish I could come take your class! What kind of tips did they have for giving clear cues when your students can't see you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the most helpful tip was to be direct and simple. Don't get tangled up in long, detailed explanations because people get lost or stop paying attention.

      Delete
    2. A little "KISS" advice. I like! Thanks. I am always looking for tips to be better at communicating with my students!

      Delete

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...