2015 Recap






I haven't been feeling like a "real runner" the last portion of this year because I wasn't racing and was focused on school instead. However, when I look back at the year as a whole I did a lot of running and accomplished some pretty major goals!


I ended up running 1167 miles total! I also biked 627 miles and got in 142.5 hours of cross training!

I started last year with a lovely long run on the Eastern Trail. I did't know it at the time, but it would be my last long run where I didn't battle the cold and snow!


January and February were then spent trying to marathon train in one of the coldest, snowiest winters I remember! I also ran the Midwinter Classic 10 Miler in February. Despite frigid temperatures, I really liked the race. 10 miles was a fun new distance to race.


At the end of February we were more than ready to leave the snow and head to New Zealand for our belated honeymoon. We had so much fun exploring both islands in our rented campervan. And of course, I also ran a marathon! The Bayley's Mountain to Surf Marathon marked my 6th continent complete!


Once we got home I made the impetuous decision to book a trip to Morocco to complete my goal of running a marathon on all 7 continents. So I jumped back into marathon training and started nursing school. Over Memorial Day weekend I made a quick trip to Morocco and knocked off those 26.2 miles.


It was a really tough run and not quite the triumphant ending I had imagined to my 7 continent quest. With time though, I made peace with it and was able to celebrate my incredible accomplishment. Many years and many miles later I had finally done it!!

Over the summer it was all about shorter distances and fun. I ran the Peak's Island 5 miler at the end of July. As always, it was a fun day out on the island. 


The following weekend I finally ran the Beach to Beacon 10k. It is Maine's most well known race, so I was glad I finally got to experience it. I even managed to surprise myself by running really well in the heat.



Once fall semester started I was super busy with school, but I did manage to make time for one race. I ran the Trails to Ales 10k with a group of friends from school! 


Although I didn't have any particular training plan or mileage goal throughout the fall, I still managed to log quite a few miles. Running really helped me keep my sanity during this stressful semester. 

In November, my long run mojo finally returned and I found myself craving longer runs again. Yet I've resisted signing up for any longer races early next year. For the first time in 8 years I want a winter where I don't have to constantly battle the elements for hours. I'm not sure what next year holds. I think it's going to be a year where a lot happens in my life outside of running, so I am a hesitant to commit myself to too much. I am eyeing a couple relays (a new one in Maine from Bar Harbor to Portland or one in Prince Edward Island). For now I'm content to still bask in the glow of finishing my 7 continents and run whatever I am feeling each day. 

Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...