A New Personal Mileage Low


Last month I ran my lowest monthly mileage in more than 6 years. I usually average about 100 miles a month when I am not marathon training, but last month I only ran 74.6.



It was partly because winter finally hit us here in Maine. It was cold and snowy. Plus, I was on winter break for a lot of the month. That meant that I had more time to go to the gym and try all the fun classes. So, when it wasn't so nice out, I opted to go to the gym pretty often.

While the type A part of me likes to see my monthly mileage keep rising, I also realize that isn't sustainable. Sometimes you have to step back. Sometimes you just don't feel like running. That's okay. I am in this running thing for the long haul.

Do you have months where your mileage drops a lot? Do you plan these cutback periods? Or do you just listen to your body and take them when you feel it?

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great you took a month with lower mileage and tried a bunch of classes! It's good for you!

    My mileage drops in the summer, when it's warmer. I'd like to say I am riding my bike more then... but that would partially be a lie. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...