Drowning in Zucchini

It is officially that time of the year....... zucchini season. I live in a condo so I can't have a big garden, but it seems like everyone else I know does have one. As a result, everyone I know is trying to give me zucchini and squash. Last week alone I made a veggie lasagna, zucchini zoodles with pesto, and grilled vegetable kabobs. And I still have a huge pile of zucchini and squash.  



So when I got a couple packets of freekeh to review, I knew instantly what I would pair it with! Freekeh is an ancient grain with a funny story behind it. Freekeh was created by accident nearly 2,000 years ago when a Middle Eastern village was attacked and their crop of young green wheat was set ablaze. The villagers rubbed off the chaff, cooked it up and freekeh was born. 

I tried the original and the rosemary sage flavors. They are super easy to cook- just dump in a pot with some water, bring to a boil, and then let simmer for 20-25 minutes. Perfect for a weeknight!

While my rosemary sage freekah cooked, I sauteed a bunch of zucchini and squash in olive oil with fresh rosemary, sage, and basil. 



To serve, I just tossed the freekah with the veggies and topped with Parmesan cheese and walnuts. 


The freekeh has nice chewy texture and a slightly nutty, wheat taste. It was a nice contrast to the softer vegetables and really filled me up. I liked the flavoring of the rosemary sage, but I can also see how versatile the plain flavor would be. Maybe an Asian inspired freekeh and zucchini dish will be for dinner tonight?

It's your turn to try freekeh for free! You will get one entry to win for each of the following. 
Follow @freekehfoods on Twitter , Instagram, like them on Facebook, or tweet about the giveaway using the hashtags #LoveFreekeh #Freekeh. 

Please post a comment telling me which you did AND letting me know what flavor you would like (original, tamari, or rosemary sage). A winner will be chosen Thursday August 20th. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...