The Big 3

Sadly this post isn’t about This is Us, even though I love, love that show. It’s about running outside, which I finally got to do this morning. 
I have missed seeing the sun rise

I've been spending an awful lot of time on the dreadmill this winter. There are 3 primary factors that determine if I go out or stay in: darkness, cold, and road conditions. I can handle any one of these factors alone, but when they combine I usually head to the treadmill.  

Dark + cold = Outside, except for extreme cold (which for me is usually when it is below 5 or 10).
Dark + slippery = Inside. It’s not worth falling and getting hurt or hit by a car because I have to run in the middle of the road in the dark.
Cold + slippery= Depends. If it is super slippery and super cold I usually opt to stay in because I can’t run fast enough to warm up.

Unfortunately this winter it has often been all 3- dark, cold, and slippery- which means my treadmill has been getting some heavy use. I’ve gone through the entire season of Fuller House (which is totally terrible and cheesy, but nostalgia so I watch it anyway) and 3 full seasons of Friends. I know I'm lucky to have the option of running on a treadmill in my own basement rather than not being able to run. It is better than nothing, but it just isn't the same. I don't get the same mental benefits or runners high when I am inside. 

How do you decide whether to run outside or inside?

1 comment:

  1. I have the same three as you. I used to run more in the dark and cold, when I lived in a neigborhood with sidewalks, but now I'm off a highway, and it just does not seem safe! I hope you have more conditions soon that allow you to go outside. It's totally NOT the same running high inside.

    ReplyDelete

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...