Coconut Lime Chicken Soup

I mentioned in my foodie pen pal reveal that Cheryl sent me awesome recipe for Coconut Lime Chicken Soup. It is so good, so easy, and so adaptable to different dietary constraints, that I just had to share!




Ingredients


  • 6 ounces dried flat rice noodles
  • 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
  • 1 (13.5 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
  • 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
  • 6 tablespoons lime juice (from 3 limes)
  • 3 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2 teaspoons light-brown sugar
  • 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced (if you like it hot. I skipped this)
  • 3/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves

Directions


Soak rice noodles according to package instructions; drain. 

In a large pot, bring broth and ginger to a boil over high. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.

Add coconut milk to broth and return to a simmer. Add chicken and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, jalapeno, and 1/2 cup cilantro; cook 1 minute. Stir in noodles and serve immediately, topped with 1/4 cup cilantro (I replaced the cilantro with scallions, because I hate cilantro!!
Cheryl gave me the excellent suggestion to store the noodles separately and add them to individual bowls and top with soup just before serving so they don't get mushy. This worked great! I ate it all week for lunch and it was just as good the 4th day as the 1st!

I LOVE this soup. I even made it this weekend for my family. My uncle is gluten free and my cousin is vegan, so finding something we all can eat is a challenge. I replaced the chicken with tofu, the chicken broth with miso broth, and the fish sauce with gluten free soy sauce, and it was great! I also want to try making this with shrimp instead of chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...