In Chile they never get chilly....

In elementary school we used to sing this silly little song in music class and for some reason I still remember the line, "In Chile they never get chilly." It looks like that's going to be true. Here's the forecast for our time there. 


Since it's been about 30 and windy at home for the last week, I am more than ready for some time by the pool in the warm sunshine. I am not however to run when it is 82 degrees out. Naturally race day is going to be the warmest day. I have not done a single run in months and months where it was above 45.

This makes me feel especially glad that I am only doing the half. I think the heat would really destroy me if I were doing the full. But at the same time I am starting to second guess my decision to only do the half. I mean I ran the full in freaking Antarctica, couldn't I do the same in Chile? I am blowing all my frequent flier miles, taking time off work, and spending 30 hours travelling there and back- shouldn't I do the full? Do I really want to give up on my goal of doing a full on every continent?

But at the same time I didn't regret a single weekend that I spent skiing instead of doing a long run. We had a long, cold, snowy winter and I am so glad I didn't have to slog my way through 20 milers in the snow. I don't miss my body hurting for 3 months solid. I don't regret that I got to spend Sundays with my boyfriend instead of long running.

It wasn't an easy decision and I'm not sure I will every be at peace with it. BUT, the decision was made and we are leaving today and it's too late to change my mind. I am taking a total break from technology, so I won't be blogging while I am gone. So see ya next week!

1 comment:

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...