Run for Peace Marathon




“I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.” 

― Mahatma GandhiThe Essential Gandhi: An Anthology of His Writings on His Life, Work, and Ideas


I woke up Friday morning to the news of the massive manhunt for the Boston Marathon bombers. It was surreal watching the live video of Watertown. I used to live not far from there and I saw many familiar sites. All day I refreshed my facebook page frequently making sure that my friends who were on lock-down were still okay. It all seemed like it should be a movie or a terrible dream.

When they finally captured the bomber, I cheered along with the rest of the country. As angry as I was, I was glad they got him alive. First of all, I want answers. I want to understand why he did what he did. Secondly, I didn't want more violence or death.

I think that the best way we can move forward from this tragedy is with a mission of peace, camaraderie, and support for the wounded. This is why I love the idea of the Run for Peace Marathon. It is simple- register, make a donation, and then commit to completing a marathon distance between April 29th and May 31st. 100% of the entry fees will be given to those affected by the Boston Marathon Attacks.

Run for Peace

Community movement heals the wounds of tragedy and actively remembers those that have fallen.
Run alone.
Run together.
Run for Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...