What do you count as exercise?

Yesterday the BF and I spent the day at a local water park. There was a Groupon offering super cheap tickets and we both had the day off, so why not? I haven't been to a water park in years, and I forgot how many stairs you have to climb. It is a good 8 or 9 flights for most rides. Multiply that by the 5 hours we were there and that is a lot of stairs!



And yet, I had felt the need yesterday morning to go to the gym where I pounded out 20 minutes on the stair-stepper before kickboxing. In my mind that 20 minutes on the machine at the gym counted as "exercise" and went in my training log. The hundreds of stairs I climbed at Splash Town didn't count.

Well that's kind of silly isn't it? But I do this all the time. I have the time I designate as my official exercise for the day and that gets logged and everything else doesn't count. Anything at the gym I count. A designated run counts, but not any random running I do during the day. Walks with the dog don't count, but a day hike would. Tennis with my family doesn't count. Yoga sometimes counts depending on how hard I think the class was. Downhill skiing doesn't count, but cross country does. In summary, my logic makes has little rhyme or reason.

Do you log your work-outs? If so what do you log?


1 comment:

  1. I do count (and log with the Endomondo app) walks with the kids. Not only do I feel better about my day if a workout got missed, but the miles/calories whatever count toward challenges/contests and I get points on Earndit. I wish I could count chasing the kids around the house or carrying them up and down stairs... I want to do a whole post on all the burned calories I don't get to count.

    ReplyDelete

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...