That time I qualified for the Triathlon National Champtionships

I was completely and utterly shocked to wake up this week to this e-mail

"Congratulations Kiersten. You have qualified for the Olympic-Distance race at the 2013 USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships on August 10 in Milwaukee, Wis., after finishing in the top 10 percent in your age group at the Tri for a Cure.

Click here for more information

Um for real? A national championship?

I am not going because it is in like 2 weeks, but also because I feel like I would be totally out of my league. I just started doing triathlons a couple years and ago and I only do 1-2 a year. I would get totally blown out of the water.

But it is still pretty cool to qualify! It is funny because as a gymnast I was super competitive. My goal was always to qualify for regionals and for nationals. I didn't consider it a successful meet if I wasn't on the podium. But as a runner, and now as a triathlete, I am the opposite. I am competitive with myself, but I never expect to place. Running was just so hard for me when I started and I have never felt like I am built to be a runner. Finishing, and knowing I had done my best, was always enough for me. But now I wonder if I am selling myself short?

Are you competitive with others when you race? Or do you do it mostly for the personal satisfaction?

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool that you qualified!!! Too bad you won't be in MKE tomorrow :)

    I am not competitive (in running) at all. I mostly do it for fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work! I am pleased to see such dedication.

    ReplyDelete

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...