WhoNu

I had been reading about WhoNu cookies, and when I saw a coupon in the paper on Sunday, decided to give them a try. They are basically just cookies fortified with a bunch of stuff. 3 cookies have more fiber than a bowl of oatmeal, as much calcium and vitamin D as a glass of milk, as much vitamin C as a cup of blueberries, as much iron as a cup of spinach, as much vitamin E as 2 cups of carrot juice, and as much vitamin B12 as a cup of cottage cheese and fruit. Sounds pretty impressive....

But how do they taste? I got the Oreo style and they were pretty good. Not quite as much filling as I'd like, but good enough that I plowed through 6 before I looked at the nutrition facts. 3 cookies has 160 calories, so I'd just taken in more than 300 calories in a few minutes.

That is what makes these so dangerous. They are marketed as a health food, but they are not. I can easily see myself eating a sleeve of these at a time, because they're small and not that satisfying. I think this is the problem with how we eat. We keep trying to find ways to trick the system so that we can eat junk food and feel okay about it. What do you think? Is is better to add vitamins and fiber to food so that people are at least getting some nutrition? Or does this encourage people to eat poorly? Should we put more of an emphasis on getting people to eat whole, unprocessed food?

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...