Random thoughts on Yoga



I have been really into yoga lately. I just can't get enough. It is one of the few things that helps to quiet my overactive, crazy mind. And physically it feels like such a good thing to do to my body. There are are 2 ideas in particular that have kept coming back to me in the past few weeks.

The first is that I stink at picking and sticking to a drishti, or focal point, during practice. This is suppose to help center your practice and keep you focused on yourself. It also helps with balance. I pick a drishti, and then I find something wrong with it like it is too far away, or off-center, and pick another one. And then I find something wrong with that one too. And then at some point I usually totally abandon the concept of a drishti all together and just look around the room at whatever I want.


image source
This doesn't surprise me at all. In life in general, I am always trying to do multiple things at once. I am terrible at living in the moment and appreciating what I have right now. I am always wondering if I might be missing out on something else and thinking about what might come next. I want to know what everyone else is doing and then compare myself to them. So far yoga doesn't seem to be helping me with this, just reinforcing the fact that I stink at maintaining a drishti.

The second thing, which does surprise me, is that I love the hands on aspect of yoga. I love when the teacher comes and does a hands on assist. I don't know what this says about me. That I am starved for physical affection?? Normally, I like a lot of personal space. I do not like getting close to people I don't know well. Also, I hate being corrected. I don't take criticism well, even constructive criticism. But at yoga, it is just the opposite. I love being adjusted. It is amazing how one small little change makes a pose all of sudden feel so right. I love being able to go deeper into a pose with help.

Do you do yoga? What comes easily to you? What do you struggle with?

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...