Motivation

Motivation and willpower are tricky things.

When it comes to regular exercise, I am golden. Just about everyday I get up and get my workout in right away. I don't struggle with doing it.

my training log doesn't have many holes in it!

I do sometimes struggle with intensity, particularly when it comes to running. I'd much rather run for an hour at a comfortable pace than 20 minutes flat out (hence my hatred of the 5k). I can do a series of short intervals but I hate longer tempo workouts.

I know this is preventing me from getting faster. If I always run for an hour at a steady pace then all I will be good at is running an hour at a steady pace.

When it comes to food, I like "healthy" things so I don't struggle with getting enough fruits or vegetables or whole grains. However, I do struggle with stopping at a single portion and I have a raging sweet tooth. Once, I eat something sweet, I want more and more and more. I can manage these cravings for the most part during the day, but by evening, I've worn down my resistance and I just can't stop.

This is frustrating, because it totally sabotages my weight loss efforts. I thought that my upcoming wedding would be enough motivation to get me to increase the intensity of my workouts and clean-up my eating. But, I can't seem to go more than a couple days without reverting back to my own habits.

How can I have so much willpower in some areas and none in others? Why can't I sustain an effort?

Does anyone else experience this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...