Growing

I am now in my 30's. Theoretically, that means I should now be wiser (and not just older) than I was at 20. Most of the time I don't notice any change and think that I will be stuck being a type A, control freak, for the rest of my life. But, every now and then I have a moment where I realize that maybe I am growing after all.

Recently someone in my life mentioned something that could have a big impact on my life. (How's that for vague?). It was a casual comment and it is something that is a remote possibility. Yet, being the control freak that I am, I let it worry me. I was just going to bed and so I laid awake for quite awhile worrying about the future. That's nothing new for me.

But here is where something new happened.

I realized that I was getting carried away and getting myself all wound up about something that probably won't even happen. I told myself to to let it go and to go to sleep.



It would make a much better story if I said that I exhaled all that worry right out of the window and immediately fell asleep. I didn't. I continued to alternate between worry and telling myself to let it go.

I am okay with that though, because that's still progress. I am still evolving. Recognizing that I am letting myself get all upset over nothing is the first step. Maybe I'll get to the actually letting it go part by the time I'm 60.

Do ever notice yourself growing as a person?

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...