#BodyPeace in 2015

I have made New Year's resolutions in past years but this year I decided not to. I already have a lot on my plate: going back to school for nursing, training for and running a marathon on my 6th continent, and coaching Girls on the Run for the first time. The semester just started and I already feel overwhelmed. For someone who avoided science during my first undergrad degree and my Master's, a schedule that includes Pharmacology, Pathophysiology, and Nutrition is terrifying.

I don't want to add anything else to my plate. Instead I decided to think about what I can do to make my life easier. What can I take away that sucks up a lot of my physical and emotional energy?

I found my answer when I started reading BODYpeace (disclaimer: I got a free copy through my partnership with Fitfluential, but as always I will give my honest opinion). Although I have gotten better over the years, I still don't have the best relationship with my body. I know I waste a lot of worry, guilt, time, and energy on what I eat, how much I exercise, and how I look.

I'm tired of it.

Body Peace starts with some background and then has exercises, meditation, and queues for journaling to complete each day. It's written by 2 young women and their writing style makes me feel like I'm talking to a good friend. But at the same time, I've pulled out some really deep quotes that really made me think.

I've developed my complicated relationship with my body over 30 years, so I know that no one book is going to cure me. But, I have noticed a shift. First, I've really cut down on the negative self talk. Instead, I am focusing on all the amazing things my body does for me. I am also trying to separate my sense of worth from my body. Finally, I've really been more intentional about my eating, which allows me to enjoy it more, and feel less guilt. Before eating I take a minute to say thank you for my food and think about why I am eating at this moment and what this food will do for me. Sometimes I still just eat because I am bored or I want comfort, but being aware of that and allowing it occur intentionally takes away a lot of the guilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...