Cold and some gymnastics too

I am officially turning into a wimp. I used to not even look at the thermometer in the morning. I didn't want to know because it didn't matter, I just threw on my running clothes and went. But yesterday when I saw it was 2 in the morning, without the wind chill, I decided to go to the gym. Why does an hour on the treadmill feel like an eternity? But I did come up with a fun new workout that has a little bit of everything- slower longer intervals and shorter faster intervals. Here is my workout:
5 min warm up @ 6mph
4 x .25 mile repeats @7mph with .25 recovery @ 6 mph
4 x 1 min @6, 1 min @ 7, 1 min @8, 1 min @7, 1 min @6
4 x 1 min @ 9mph with 1:30 min recovery @6 mph
5 min cool down @ 6mph

I was a nice sweaty mess by the end, so I had to hustle home to take and shower and get dressed because my friend Breezy was picking me up at 11 to head to the UNH vs Penn State Gymnastics meet. I used to go every years because I went to gymnastics camp at UNH for years when I was younger, but my Dad is a huge Penn State fan, so either way, my team wins.

It was so wonderful to see live gymnastics. I wanted so badly to run out on the floor and do a tumbling pass. Gymnastics is really unique because it is not a life long sport. I devoted so much of my young life to it, and then poof, I was too old and it was gone. Unless you end up becoming a coach, you're pretty much done by the time you're 20. And really, there is nothing else that can replace that feel of flying.

The first rotation was close, with UNH on vault and Penn State on bars. But then UNH fell apart on bars and Penn State took the lead. Beam and floor were close, but UNH couldn't make up their deficit, and Penn State got the win. 

Even typing about it gets me all fired up. Time to do some cartwheels in the living room.







No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...