Stronger


I had to squeeze in my 20 miler Thursday morning and I really did not enjoy it. I started dreading it early in the week and continued to lack enthusiasm as I ran. It has warmed up slightly from the high of 13 on Tuesday, but it still wasn’t above freezing and the sky was grey and leaden. But, I stuck a few gels in my fuel belt, strapped on my i-pod and headed out. And I ran, and I ran, and I ran. At one point a truck pulled over beside me and a guy stuck his head out the window. “How far are you running girl? I’ve seen you 3 times this morning!” That is how the run felt- endless. I was cold, bored, and uninspired the whole run. I thought about cutting it short, until I looked down at my watch and realized that I only had 3 miles left. And then I realized that I actually felt pretty good. I was going to finish this thing, and feel pretty good. I felt even better when I woke up the next morning and realized that I still felt good. Better than good, my legs felt great! I hit the gym for step class and even stayed for body pump. It was a good reminder that, while it isn’t always a ton of fun, I am getting stronger. When I was training for my first marathon, I was fried for days after a 20 miler. Now, I’m doing double sessions at the gym. Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...