The run that almost wasn't (and the flight that really wan't)

So after I spent all that time coming up with a modified training plan last week, I totally almost blew it by not doing a long run this weekend.

I liked to do my long runs on Friday when possible because then I have more time on the weekend to spend with friends and family. But we got a lovely 8 inches of perfect snow on Thursday night into Friday. This meant that I just HAD to go downhill skiing on Friday. I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for snow this winter and I couldn't waste it. I absolutely didn't. I was on the first chair up and got fresh tracks in the powder. It was perfect- light, fluffy, and dry. There was no one there so I went non-stop all day. Heaven.


Then Saturday I woke up to find it snowing again. So when my Mom called and asked if I wanted to meet her at Pinehill to cross country, I, of course, said yes. It was also delightful. Last weekend was icy and fast, but yesterday was a day to slow down and enjoy the soft powder and lovely woods. We skied for 4 hours and it felt like no time at all (except that my hands were completely numb because it was like 12 degrees). Then we headed into the cute little cafe for some overdue lunch. We shared a hot steaming bowl of minestrone (with Maine beans, potatoes, and veggies!) and a bacon (from their own farm), avocado, and tomato sandwich.


On the way home I stopped at LL Bean. I've been stalking the outlet waiting for snowshoes to go on sale. I already have enough outdoor equipment to open my own store, but I still want snowshoes. There are some trails right by my house, but they get a lot of dog walkers which makes them not so good for skiing. But they will be perfect for snowshoes. And aren't they pretty?

So today Sunday was my last chance. I was planning to leave for the airport so I knew I'd have to run early if I was going to get it in. So I got up at 6:30, turned on the coffee maker, and looked at the thermometer. 3 degrees. Wah. I don't know when I turned into such a wimp, but I was so unexcited. The only thing that got me out the door was my new running jacket (which I also got at Bean's yesterday). Well and the fact that I knew I'd feel horribly guilty and regret it forever if I didn't do the planned run. It was cold, but sunny, and slippery from all the snow the past 2 days, but I had on my yak trax, and I got it done.


And then came home to find the cancelled my flight, and there is no other way to get to CA today. So I could have slept in and run when it was warmer. Oh well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...