If you could be anything, what you you be?

As we were discussing the idea of me possibly going back to school and changing careers, Rory asked me "If you could do anything, what would you do?"

The question stopped me in my tracks and it shocked me to find that I didn't really have an answer. 



I've been asking my friends the same question and most of them don't have an answer either. 

We are at an interesting point in our lives where we have invested 10 or so years in our current careers. We have developed experience, seniority, and financial stability. It is hard to walk away from that despite feeling unsatisfied with our jobs, On the other hand, we still have many years left to work and it is hard to face spending the rest of our lives in jobs we don't enjoy. Plus, given the current economy many of us feel lucky to even have a job and like we can't walk away from that. 

When I was 7, I had no problem answering the question. First I was going to be an Olypmic gymnast and then an ice cream tester for Ben and Jerry's and then a doctor. Now,  I really have no good answer. As an adult, how do you find that balance between practicality and dreams?

If you could be anything, what you you be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...