My Favorite Places for a Post Run Brunch in Portland

Earlier this week, I told you about my favorite places to run in Maine. Today is all about what happens after the run- brunch! For me there is no better way to start a weekend day than with a long run followed by brunch.

For when you just want a bagel............. Scratch Bakery
image source
This adorable, little bakery in South Portland has the best bagels I have ever had. They are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I am not the only one who loves these bagels, they sell out so quickly on weekends! I love a sea salt bagel (gotta have that salt after a run), herb cream cheese, and a latte after a run. 

For when you want a big diner breakfast..............................Becky's Diner


Becky's is a Portland institution and for good reason. They serve up heaping platters of breakfast classics for cheap with a side of sassy waitresses. Their blueberry pancakes are the best I've ever had. They enormous and have tons of Maine blueberries and real Maine maple syrup. I tend to avoid Becky's though during the summer when it is swarmed with tourists. 

When you want something a little funky (or you are a vegan)...................... Silly's


Silly's is a whimsical restaurant with a huge menu. Menus and games to play are held in funky lunchboxes on the tables and the decor is bright and fun. Silly's is great after a long run because their portions are enormous. They have tons of fun of milkshake options (vegan milkshakes too!) and nearly everything on the menu can be make vegetarian or vegan. My favorite brunch is the Eggy Pop- eggs, avocado, tomato, bacon, cheddar and scallions on french fries. 

When you are feeling fancy and don't mind a wait.........................................Bintliff's

Bintliff's is a little classier, so be sure to shower before you go. There is always a line, but it is worth the wait. They have all kinds of fancy pancakes, waffles, and omelettes. I am always torn between the the Lobster Benedict and the cinnamon bun pancakes. 

When you just want a doughnut......................................................The Cookie Jar or The Holy Donut


Sometimes you just need a doughnut. I actually have 2 favorite doughnut places and I just can't choose between them. In the fall I head straight to The Cookie Jar in South Portland for a pumpkin cruller. They have a soft, rich pumpkin inside and crispy, sweet, glazed outside. The rest of the year, I can't say no to a dark chocolate sea salt doughnut at The Holy Donut. That salty, sweet combo is irresistible. 

Are you a brunch person? Do you go sweet or savory? What is your favorite brunch spot?

No comments:

Post a Comment

35

I turned 35 in June. It's an age that felt both momentous and ominous to me. I'm not just an adult, I'm an ADULT. I've never...